FLORENCE COUNTY COURTHOUSE before it was demolished in 1973. Brick wall and steps is the right front patio of the newly constructed Florence City-County Complex. The old courthouse was torn down to make way for the parking lot for the new complex. The p
JUNIOR, SENIOR DANCE at Wilson High School in 1962. From left are Maurice Austin, Edward Anderson, Monya Reese, Henry Thomas, Alphonsa Davis, and Patricia Timmons. The dance theme was ‘Fantasy of the Sea.’ Photo from the 1962 Wilsonian Yearbook.
RAILROAD ROUNDHOUSE – An inside view of the roundhouse at the Florence Railroad Station. Often called the engine house, the roundhouse was built around a turntable to easily turn steam locomotives for maintenance and provided storage. The roundhouse event
BABYLAND – The children’s nursery at First Baptist Church during a Christmas celebration, circa 1950. The nursery, called Babyland, was located in a former residence facing S. Irby Street adjacent to the church parking lot. One of the ladies in the photo
SENSENEY’S AUTO REBUILDERS which held its grand opening in February 1941, included an Esso filling station and Merritt’s Lunch cafe. The 75-year old building burned down in the early morning hours of Nov.14. Picture postcard courtesy of Harvey Senseney.
GRAND OLE OPRY SINGER TEX RITTER, second from left, is pictured in the WJMX Radio studio in the 1950s. Others not identified. Photo by the late photographer Ethel Grantham and courtesy of her grandson David Hewitt.