Pre-school parenting program recognized
The national office of Parents as Teachers has informed the Florence 1 Schools Parent as Teachers home visiting program that it has demonstrated high standards in all areas of its annual performance measures report.
The home visiting program works with pre-school parents to provide knowledge and resources to prepare their pre-school children (from prenatal through kindergarten) for a stronger start in life and greater success in school.
“These results have come at a perfect time!” exclaimed Melanie McMillan, program coordinator of Florence 1 Schools Office of Parent Educations Services. “The notice of high-performance standards can ensure parents of the quality of the home visitation program in Florence 1 Schools.
“As school opens parents of pre-school children have an opportunity to take advantage of virtual visitation services for children from pre-birth through kindergarten. The Florence 1 Schools home-visiting programs are committed to providing high quality, evidence- based services to all Florence 1 families.”
According to McMillan, the Parents as Teachers services are available to families virtually during the present COVID-19 pandemic. She also pointed to online services available for pre-school parents.
All virtual home visits consist of:
• The same consistent certified parent educator;
• Assistance, support, and encouragement as the child grows and develops;
• Twice per month virtual visits in-home for 1 hour;
• Individualized activities for the child with parent-child interaction support;
• Review of the child’s developmental milestones with plans for next steps;
• Assistance with resources and referrals for family;
• Interactive story time, where the child receives a book on each visit; and
• Information on developmental centered parenting topics.
McMillan also indicated that on-going developmental health screenings of the children are available.
Parents are encouraged to sign up for these free virtual services by visiting the Florence 1 Schools web site.
For more information, contact Melanie McMillan at the Florence 1 Schools Parent Education Services Office.