Central UMC to celebrate anniversary
Central United Methodist Church was officially founded on April 4, 1870, making the church more than 150 years old. Plans were originally set to recognize this historic celebration in 2020, however, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, those plans had to be changed. Therefore, on Oct. 3, Central will celebrate its sesquicentennial anniversary. The celebration will be held in Central’s sanctuary as well as our casual worship service, The Well, at 10 a.m.on Sunday, Oct. 3rd. The United Methodist Bishop of South Carolina, Bishop L. Jonathan Holston, will be preaching during the sesquicentennial worship service. Additionally, ministers who have previously served at Central United Methodist Church will also be in attendance. A history book containing information about Central’s 150 years in mission and ministry, along with a handmade banner, an anniversary plaque, and other commemorative items have been created to celebrate the occasion. At its First Quarterly Conference meeting at Pisgah Church on Jan. 20, 1866, the Darlington Circuit formed a committee to make the necessary arrangements for establishing a church in the village of Florence, the growing commercial hub at the junction of the Wilmington & Manchester, the North Eastern, and the Cheraw & Darlington Railroads. In 1869 a meeting was held to formalize plans for the church. On April 4,1870, the committee’s work came to fruition when the first meeting was held at the home of Captain M.C. Henry on the 100 block of East Cheves Street with seventeen charter members and the Rev. George Wells of the Timmonsville Circuit serving as organizing pastor. The city of Florence was chartered the following year. Central United Methodist Church is located at 167 South Irby Street.