SLOAN COLUMN: The coolest toys under the tree
Wondering what the most popular toys were this year? So was I. According to Amazon.com, these are some of the toys that had the kiddies screaming with glee when they were unwrapped this morning:
•CANDYLOCKS. Get a whiff of this. This doll, which sells for $19.99, has its own unique scent. It has hair that looks a lot like cotton candy dreadlocks.
•Crayola Artic Color Chemistry Set.This one gives youngsters ages 7 and up the chance to experiment with colors.
• WowWee Pinkfong Baby Shark Official Song Puppet.So how long do you think it would take before this one gives you the screaming meemies?
• GO Glam Nail Stamper.Perfect for your tiny little diva. She puts her fingers in the toy’s tunnel-like hole and presto!, glittery patterns appear instantly
• Crayola Scribble Scrubbie Peculiar Pets.More from the Crayola factory. It comes with markers, tiny pets to color, and a tiny tub/shower in which to clean them.
•RYAN'S WORLD Giant Mystery Egg.This orb, which holds up to 15 surprises, will set you back a cool $60. For that kind of money, I think I would prefer to know what I am buying.
• BARBIE Jet set.Barbie is jet setting in style with this plane. She’ll be riding first class with snacks, a place for her luggage, and a puppy companion.
• Official Mega Grave Digger All-Terrain Remote Control Monster Truck.Get that little fella of yours all revved up with this bad boy, which measures more than 2 feet long. It’s larger and faster than the previous models and can be controlled from up to 250 feet away.
Neither of my grandkids received any of these toys from their Poppy this year. I’m making a run for Grandfather of the Year with a two-foot remote control robot for 9-year-old Julius and a light-up painting/coloring easel for 4-year-old Lexi. I’m feeling pretty confident in my choices.
And the best part: I didn’t have to stay up late putting anything together. I did, however, have to pony up for roughly 12 AA batteries.
Here’s hoping you found the toy you wanted underneath the Christmas tree this morning.